AANP Health Care Reform Update
Health Care Reform
As previously reported, on May 4, the House passed H.R. 1628, the American Health Care Act of 2017 (AHCA), and the bill moved to the Senate. As of now, an effort is underway in the Senate to draft its version of the legislation and proceed to a vote. It is important that your Senators hear from NPs, and we urge you to use the AANP Advocacy Center to deliver your messages and let your voices be heard.
AANP has asked Congress to protect and fortify patient-focused care by:
- Ensuring that all patients have access to health care with affordable coverage options regardless of pre-existing conditions;
- Protecting patients’ access to health care delivered by the provider of their choice, including nurse practitioners and other advanced practice registered nurses;
- Upholding the principles of Essential Health Benefits;
- Preserving patients’ access to Medicaid;
- Improving the Medicare Systems’ efficiency by removing barriers to practice and eliminating unnecessary duplication of provider efforts; and
- Maintaining the nation’s commitment to improving its health care workforce
AANP Advocacy Center
Please take a moment to visit the AANP Advocacy Center, and send a letter to your members of Congress to help educate them on issues of importance to NP practice:
- Encourage your members of Congress to Support NPs Certifying Home Health Orders.
- Urge your members of Congress to Support Improved Medicare Patient Access to Needed Diabetic Shoes.
- Ask members of Congress to Support Legislation to Allow NP Patients to be Counted in ACOs.
- Encourage members of Congress to Support Stable Funding for Nursing Education Programs.
- Urge Congress to ensure that any health care reform legislation is patient centric and includes NPs as a high-quality health care provider